THEN, celebrating its 100 anniversary in 2019
- Was founded in 1919 in Chemnitz/ Germany by Rudolf THEN, starting with a barrel-making business which soon branched out into piece dyeing machines.
- The company’s reputation for innovation began early with the introduction of ceramic linings for dye baths, up to then made of wood, and at the end of the 1920’sRudolf THEN was also quick to recognize the acid-resistant advantages of stainless steel for dyeing vessels and so THEN became a synonym for fine piece dyeing machines very soon already.
- In 1955 relocating to Schwäbisch Hall, where its Head Quarter is still today, the business was specialized in dye vats and other textile equipment first.
- 1983, with the introduction of the first THEN airflow System at ITMA in Milan, THEN became the benchmark of the entire Textile Industry. Why it was so revolutionary? Until then, the dyeing of just one kilo of fabric required around 150 liters of water, and by the new THEN technology invented by THEN’S engineer Wilhelm Christ and his team, it was reduced to 45-40 liters/kg depending on the fabric. Also in terms of dye liquor it was distributing much smaller amounts by this revolutionary THEN airflow technology.
- With production facilities in Schwäbisch Hall as well as in Shenzhen, China, it is a member of the CHTC FONG’S international Group since 2004.
- Until today the THEN Airflow technology is setting standards in saving water, energy and time. The most recent developments of THEN machines, as THEN SMARTFLOW, a hydraulic round shape machine, introduced at ITMA 2019 in Barcelona, are consequently pursuing the aim of the company for achieving the lowest possible energy and water consumption rates available on the market for hydraulic jet dyeing.